Question
Posted by: sonja | 2008/01/03

what is the healthy long term option?

I am overweight, has IBS, low blood pressure as well as low blood sugar. I easily feel faint and sleepy. When I eat better, more healthy food, I feel better but my tummy gets upset very easily, especially when I eat a lot of raw vegetables and fruit, so I eat more and more junk. I feel better when I eat meaty fatty foods, which is not good. I exercise regularly but want to follow an eating plan where I will loose weight and be healthy. Where can I start?

Dear Sonja
Because you suffer from multiple problems, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assist you with a diet that promotes weight loss and also corrects your low blood sugar, without making your IBS flare up. You will probably be put on a low-fat, low-GI diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Physical activity is an excellent aid to weight loss and will also help you to relax which improves the IBS, so do try and do at least 30 min of aerobic exercise per day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).