Question
Posted by: JT | 2007/05/30

what is sinubronchiosus

I got the flu recntly and went to the chemist to get something to help then after abut 1week i woke up but could not open my eyes as they were glued together by somemucus that formed overnight.once again i went to the chemist and got a cream to fix it but after a week i would still wake up with crust around my eyes, my flu symptons were getting better but not completely, after about a day or two i woke up to a painfull throat which made it hard to swallow and talk. i went to the GP he told me that i have sinubronchiousus or something to that effect which is a secondary infection.My question is what is it exactly and what are the precaution that one needs to take so to never get it again.Also should we first go see a chemist at the first signs of something wrong eg headach,flu ect or rush to make an appointment with the GP.
thank you

Dear JT
It just means that a flu or cold ( which is a viral infection) developed a secondary bacterial infection on top of the flu or cold, causing infection in the sinuses and in the airways. One does not have to go to the GP every time you have a cold - but if you have fever, and are coughing up yellow phlegm, you sometimes need antibiotics. You can first ask your chemist.