Question
Posted by: Kinda | 2007/05/29

What is Narcissism: Is it a disorder?

hi CS

Could we discuss this thing called Narcissism. My friend told me her boyfriend said that I am a narcissist; what is that? Is it a disorder? Is it a bad thing? What would be the right thing to dela with it? Pills? CBT? Therapy? Medication? Helpline?

What does this mean? Does it affect relationships with people? Are the admitted Narcissists out there? Please help.

Try a google search, to find more than you'd like to know about Narcissism. I don't know of a Narcissists Anonymous ( or Narcissists Unanimous ) group out there --- I don't think any of em would appreciate being among other narcissists, all vying for attemtion. It'd be the only club with 4,357 Chairmen and no members.
Its like an overdose of the normal self-esteem that is healthy and wholesome, and having an excessive regard for oneself, to the point of selfishness. So its not a nice thing to say about a person, whether it's true or not. It can be a mild aspect of one's normal personality, or if very severe, could be considered a Personality Disorder. Pills could do nothing for it, CBT maybe, or other skilled psychotherapy, IF it was causing problems for the individual.
It does affect relationships with people. A Narcissist is someone who, when you run to her and say : "Help ! MY house burned down last night while my husband was having an affair in it !", and she'd say "How terrible ! But let me tell YOU, I am having such trouble finding a good manicurist ! "

2
Posted by: til | 2007/05/29

That's funny because I have suffered low self esteem for years, yet was told I was narcissistic from my councillor. Maybe its a bit like having bipolar, up one minutes, depressed the next??

Reply to til
Posted by: Dictionary | 2007/05/29

An exceptional interest in and admiration for yourself , feelings of excessive pride , self love

Reply to Dictionary