Question
Posted by: Mrs M | 2004/12/01

What is Mirena

Hi Pharmacist

I`m a 29yr old mom to be, my baby is due in April 2005 and am battling with deciding on what contraceptive to use thereafter. I was on Ginette before which worked wonders except that my sex drive went into flames and out the window. The injection does not treat me well on the other hand as I get to bleed the whole month. I want to try Mirena, hubby and I want only 2 kids and I`M CURRENTLY CARRYING OUR 1ST BORN.PLEASE KINLDY GIVE ME THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS THING, how much does it cost, can I REMOVE IT AFTER 2-3YEARS to make way for next baby, what about the progesterone? I `ve suffered form acne in my teens will it not come back.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Expert ImagePharmacist

You have to consult yout gynae for the best advice regarding contraceptive use. Mirena is a plastic intrauterine device (IUD) that acts as a progestogen reservoir (it contains only progesterone as to Ginette containing oestrogen as well) releasing levonorgesterel into the uterine cavity. It has local effects, but minimal systemic absorbtion, meaning less side effects. You should also consult your gynae regarding postpartum insection. As far as I know it can be removed should you need to.