Question
Posted by: me | 2004/01/20

What is medical Abortion?

What is Medical abortion? What does it involve how is it done how long , do u have to be booked in a hospital etc , can anyone give me more info on it plz

A medical abortion is one where you are given pills to abort the pregnancy. This does have to be supervised by a doctor and you will be in hospital for part of the time. The route to go is to contact a gynaecologist.

2
Posted by: Jill | 2004/01/20

My understanding of a medical abortion is that it is different to a surgical abortion (D&C) in that it is usually done later in the pregnancy (i.e. after 12 weeks), when a simple D&C on its own is no longer safe. It involves bringing on labour to facilitate a natural birth. Usually, only the placenta needs to be removed by means of a D&C, as the foetus is expelled on its own during the contractions (which are CYTOTEC-induced). CYTOTEC is, inter alia, an abortion pill. You normally stay in hospital for only a few hours. The labour takes on average about 12 - 15 hours, but you will only be admitted to hospital about half-way through the process.

Reply to Jill
Posted by: www | 2004/01/20

It's a medical abortion when they have to give you an abortion for medical reasons and it's done in the same way as a D&C (womb scrape)

Reply to www