Question
Posted by: Pam | 2004/12/06

What is IVF

Please forgive me if I'm asking a question that was already asked. Help me to understant, what is IVF and from this forum i could hear it is helping people who want to get pregnant. I'm also trying to be. What is it and where can I do it?

Thank you!!

I hope Golly has helped you.

3
Posted by: Pam | 2004/12/06

Thank you so much for your explanations & responses.

Love
Pam

Reply to Pam
Posted by: Purple | 2004/12/06

when the procedure first started being done in the 1980's it used to be called "test tube babies".

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Golly | 2004/12/06

Pam,

In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) is the last resort for many couples who are unable to conceive naturally. The woman is treated with hormone injections and the eggs removed. The husband's sperm is added to the eggs in a dish in the lab and allowed to develop to a specific stage (3-5 days of growth) before the embrio's are inplanted into the woman's uterus. It is a very expensive procedure and may cost upward of R18 000 per egg retrieval cycle.

If you are under 35 and have been trying to conceive for more than a year or over 35 and been ttc for 6 months, you should see a reproductive or fertility specialist. These are gynae's specializing in infertility. They will first determine if you ovulate and if all your hormone levels are normal. Next they will screen your hubby's sperm for any abnormalities or low sperm counts. You might also be asked to come for a consultation 24 hours after intercourse (post-coital test) to determine if you have a friendly cervical environment for the sperm. If all is well the doc may suggest a laparoscopy where a small camera is inserted into the abdomen and the doc looks for any signs of adhesions, endometrioses, etc. which may be interfering with your fertility. The doc will advise on the best course of action to take depending on what is found at each stage of the investigation.

It may be a long (and costly) process to find the reasons behind infertility, but being able to put a name to this thing is a huge comfort and step forward. Hope you are able to make your dream come true soon!

Reply to Golly