Question
Posted by: lynsey | 2005/12/06

what is ammonia

my boyfriends mum has been taking into to hospital he recieved a call tonight as shes taking seriously ill and is in intensive care doctor said she has ammonia what is ammonia she also has a drink problem what that be anything to do with it could she die.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Lynsey,

Ammonia is a chemical, not a condition. I can only guess that what the doctor might have said is pneumonia. If that is so, then it refers to an infection of the lung itself. If she has a drink problem, then often this is associated with aspiration pneumonia, which can be very serious. Clearly she is extremely ill, otherwise she would not be in the Intensive Care. Death is always a risk from complications, but only the doctor who is looking after her can give you that kind of information.

I hope she recovers fully and soon.

HeartDoc.

1
Posted by: lynsey | 2005/12/07

thanks for your advice you have been a great help

Reply to lynsey