Question
Posted by: Noname | 2004/10/12

What is after

What is after life or more to the point what is after death?
is there something or nothing, is it not just like a light switching off and never anything again, just plane nothing.. like you were never there or here, just nothing !
If not, what is there ??
I am Agnostic !

Not my area of expertise.

12
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/12

There is one thing that you & only you can allow yourself to have & that my dear friend is something called FAITH!!!
When you have complete faith in something, there will be no doubts. Whether you're religious or not.
Faith is finding comfort in yourself, in your knowledge....

Do you think that makes sense?

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Noname | 2004/10/12

This is a supprisingly peaceful conversation! (Thanks)
Shaun : how do you believe in something?
Yes I do believe there is something but there also may be nothing or it may be just horrible, but that doesnt help!
How can one quiet ones mind on this type of question, surely there must always be doubt no matter how strong your belief??

Reply to Noname
Posted by: Johan | 2004/10/12

I should refrain from carrying on with this debate, by just saying that you'll find a few New Age ideas sprinkled around here as well as non-biblical: We've heard some reincarnation talks as well, Biblical speaking, you can be the nicest person on earth, but there is only one way to get into heaven, and being a wonderful person (alone) will get you nowhere. Being a wonderful person should be the fruit of your beliefs and spiritual growth - as a re-born. Enough said, for whatever nonsense may proceed this, no further comment from me on this issue.

Reply to Johan
Posted by: Johan | 2004/10/12

Reply to Johan
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/12

Then do you not think that you may not be listening to the answers you are getting. I can tell you that I've learned a bit from reading this posting already, surely there must be something you've read here that you haven't before.
Tell me, what if the sky fell down tomorrow?
My reply to your "what if" questions is that maybe you shouldn't worry yourself so much about things you don't know. I mean, you don't really know now, so why worry???
I have found though, that when you're working on a "contingency plan", the "what if" questions then become important. But also remember, that in this scenario, you are generally able to answer the what if questions.

Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Noname | 2004/10/12

I like your thoughts, I have no condemnation of ony religion.
Thoughts and beliefs? are they different, I know I have thoughts in my head, way too many, I know I have a brain, functional or not (X-Ray) but how do you believe in something intangible, what if you are wrong, I know you must believe you are right but what if!!???
If rebirth were true, surely we would remember, and since all we are really made up of is memmories and those dont get reborn with us, what is left, How can you re-endure this life if you dont know what the hell you did wrong the last time?

PS Boy do I wish questioning the reason of life enlightened me, I would be the most enlightenest person on earth, but all it seems to do is give me more doubt.

Reply to Noname
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/12

Hi N,

Do you believe in doing unto others as you would have them do unto you? I know this is also what the Bible says, but you don't necessarily have to be a believer to practise this.
Also, think about this for a while... You have a heart that beats & pumps blood through your body, a lung that filters the air to oxygenate the blood that gives life to your body. All these things are tangible, so you would be inclined to believe them. As they say, seeing is believing. But, you have thoughts, can anyone see or touch them, you have beliefs, also intangible, yet we all know that once your mind stops functioning, once your thought processes stop, once you have no beliefs, you are basically lifeless... dead!!!
As your thinking above goes, you may believe you have a brain, but do you actually know there is a brain in your head???

Without the intention of being offensive in the least, I am trying to show you that if you wanted to, you could convince people of certain things, if you were good enough. At the same time, people could also be staunch in their beliefs. It is the comfort you find within yourself that allows you to choose religion or not & if you're comfortable within yourself being a christian then so be it. If you're comfortable with the knowledge that when you become "re-born" you may be an eagle, then so be it.
Myself, I feel that the life we endure on earth is actually our trials. So how we deal with those trials has an effect on whether we spend our afterlife in the comfort of a no-stress, no-trial heaven, or whether we're sent back to earth to endure more suffering & heartache.
As I said, these are my beliefs & I feel secure in that. Others may not agree with me, but they're entitled to that. I feel very strongly that you do not condemn anothers religion, nor their beliefs, or cultures.
If you had to seriously think about it, where do you feel comfortable?

Regards,
Shaun

PS: I also feel that questioning the reason of life only enlightens us further...

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Noname | 2004/10/12

Ok, but with insurance companies, you can see that there is a return.
I just find it impossible to believe in anything without some sort of backing,
I ask the question, why pay the insurance premium if you really dont think it will pay??

Reply to Noname
Posted by: Johan | 2004/10/12

You are going to get a lot of (mixed) reaction, I can give you the one about Christ being the saviour. BUT, let me be different and give you a controversial reason for believing: What about just taking out insurance JUST in case you get to the other side and see that there is other side. What do you think about that? :)

Reply to Johan
Posted by: Q | 2004/10/12

I can only comment from a christian point of view, Most of what all people believe comes from hystoric document found and has watered down over generations. I think the passion of the christ film from mel gibson is closest to the manuskrips found in israel. Get it and look at it, although in hebru it has sub titles. I can not judg any other religion and cant say they are wrong I just know that there is a God and I know he controls all. See believe is to trust with out seeing so yes that is were it all starts.

Reply to Q
Posted by: Noname | 2004/10/12

I wouldnt know, I have never believed in anything, all I know of all religions is that they contradict each other. Muslims say christians will go to hell, christians say jews will go to hell and jews say muslims will go to hell, so now what, If there is an answer, who has it?
Who determines what happens to each person.
but really, there is no proof of the soal either, just body and mind, does it really exist or is it here to make us behave or we will lose it, thats if it actually exists?

Reply to Noname
Posted by: Demon | 2004/10/12

See there are differant thinking in the world, most religions beleave in some kind of after live. If I am correct agnistic is more or less the same as athiast, dont believe in a god or anything els the only thing that you believe in is here and now what you can tuch see and smell!!! Even voltare one of the greatest philosifers of all time and a athiast or agnostic like you on his deing bed proclaimed that there is a God. You consist of 3 parts as body, mind and soal!!!! the saol is the part returns to its creator, God, when the rest die so no its not n light that is switched of!!! I have a q for you: it must be terable not to believe in anything???

Reply to Demon