Question
Posted by: Peter | 2010/07/12

What is Addiction?

Excuse me but please tell me exaclty what addiction is. I am on Ritalin for 20 years and have never gone over the dose. However when I wake up in the moring I seem to crave it but not in a craving way like chocolate. Its more like if I do not take it I cannot do anything. I was like this before being on Ritalin. So am I now an addict? What about long term side effects of this drug.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Peter;

Expert opinion on the use of Ritalin for ADHD and associated disorders is divided. It is intersting that you note that your symtoms before the use of Ritalin seemed to have not changed particularly with its useage.Any psycocactive medication needs to be monitored for efficacy and dependence although it is important to note that one of the standard definitions of addiction is a need to take chemical substances despite incresing adverse consequences. You say that you have not increased the doseage but this does not preclude a psycological addiction to the substance in question. For further information contact 021 790 7779 or info@harmonyclinic.co.za.

1
Posted by: Addictions expert forum | 2010/07/18

Dear Peter;

Reply to Addictions expert forum