Question
Posted by: brooke | 2004/09/29

What is a triple screen test?

hi ladies, i am 12 weeks and my gynae wants me to do a triple screen test at about 16 weeks. Please enlighten me on this topic if anybody knows exactly what it entails. Thanx

It is ascreening test to check what the risk is that your baby has downs syndrome. It is not a confirmatory test

1
Posted by: Francis | 2004/09/29

It is a blood test that they do for down and spina bafida. I would not recommend the tripple test as there are a 50% chance of a false positive. Ask your doctor to the new blood test at 12 weeks that tells you sooner if there are a problem.

I went for a detail 13 week scan and on the same day you go for the blood test to test for down and spina bafida. If the results come back you will now 95% if you have a baby with down or spina (including the scan). In other words the scan counts plus/minus 80% and the test ads another 15% on.

It still is your choice and if you decide that even if you have a down to keep the baby I don't see why you want to do the test. They can pick up the spina and down with a detail scan or with amnio as well.

Reply to Francis