Question
Posted by: OCTAVIA | 2004/03/03

WHAT IS A POST-COITAL TEST?

Dear Doc

What is the purpose of a post-coital test? What does it determine or indicate with regard to fertility/infertility? When is the best time of my cycle to undergo this test? Do we have to undergo this test, immediately after intercourse? Can I have a shower after intercourse and then go for the test?

Thank you for the feedback.

Octavia

As Sam says, the test determines how your partner's sperm penetrate your cervical mucus. It is done at the time of ovulation. You should not shower before having the test and it has to be done very soon after intercourse.

1
Posted by: Sam | 2004/03/03

Its a test they do within a certain period of time after having sex and is normally done during ovulation I think. It is to assess the quality and friendliness of your cervical mucus towards your husbands sperm. For instance how long does the sperm survive in the mucus and does it swim well so they can assess if its got a fair chance to get to the egg.

Reply to Sam