Posted by: BMK | 2008/07/02

What foods are best for aneamia

At present I have no kidney function and am on dialysis, and I am not on any medication. Please advise what foods are best for anaemia.

Dear BMK
I am sorry to hear that you are on dialysis and also suffer from anaemia. Because you are on dialysis I cannot recommend most of the best sources of readily available iron (red meat, liver, fish) to you and must insist that you discuss the dietary intake of iron with the dr who is treating you for your kidney problem. These prime sources of iron are too high in protein if you do not have kidney function. The other foods that contain some iron are: breakfast cereals fortified with iron, maize meal and bread sold in SA that is fortified with iron and dried fruits (esp raisins). Your physician will recommend an iron supplement to treat the anaemia and also indicate if you are allowed to eat any of these high-protein foods that are such rich sources of iron or not.
Holding thumbs for you

Posted by: BMK | 2008/07/06

Dear DietDoc,
Thank you for the advice. My iron levels seem to be fine now, it was probably only due to trying to regulatie all levels since being on dialysis. Now my phosphate levels are too high! But mostly I don't have much energy!
I think this service you offer is wonderful...
Keep up the great work!
God Bless!

Reply to BMK