Question
Posted by: lynette | 2006/07/26

What foods are allowed

I have been put on Tablets (Glucophage) due to my sugar level been high.I am still not sure what i am allowed to eat and what i have to stay away from.Could you prehaps give me some guidlines or a diet plan that i could follow.

Dear Lynette
The fact that you have been put on Glucophage and that your glucose levels are high, indicate that you have insulin resistance. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.dietetics.co.za and click on Private Practising to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Balanced diet' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Regular aerobic exercise is one of the most valuable aids to regulating insulin and glucose levels and also controlling body weight. Increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).