Question
Posted by: Mia | 2003/02/10

what foods and what excercise

I am 22 and am battling to loose weight. I have no children, but my mom is overweight. It seems i am taking after her. I have been slim before, but now that I have gained I am battling to loose. What foods are to be avoided besides the obvoius take-away and sweets and what excersise is recommended to loose weight, not build muscle. I do spinninh, but that seems to be making my thighs bigger.

Dear Mia
I trust you have used the 'Tools' on the 'Diet' site to calculate if you are overweight or not? If not, do this first so that we can determine if you are really overweight or not, because if your BMI is in the 18-25 range, then your weight is normal and you will struggle to lose weight. So even if you have gained a few kg, your weight could still be in the normal range. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat, high-fibre diet which should help. As for exercise, any exercise that burns energy and stimulates your metabolism will do - spinning, jogging, running, brisk walking, swimming, cycling (outside the gym), aerobics, skipping etc.