Question
Posted by: crickettania | 2006/11/11

what excercises really work on tummies?

i need to lose weight .
my problem areas are my stomach , legs and buttox

i would really like to lose as much weight as i can by this Christmas . i currently weigh +/- 70kg's , have a waist of 108cm's and i am 1.35m tall.

please advise me on how to lose 10-20kg's over the next two to three months. atleast 8-10 of them by xmas / new year

HI there

You are not alone, and this is by far the most common question that is asked, actually. Everyone seems to battle with the weight in a specific area. It's really difficult to combat though, although you have already hopefully recognized that eating well and exercising correctly are the keys. The simple answer then, is to continue exercise and change your eating patterns. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross

3
Posted by: Frank the Tank | 2006/11/14

Sorry, I know it might seem a weird question. The reason I ask is because at 1.35m waist of 103cm and weight of 70kg seems unbalanced. I'm 1.88m tall, 103cm waist and weigh about 105kg.

Reply to Frank the Tank
Posted by: Frank the Tank | 2006/11/13

How old are you?

Reply to Frank the Tank
Posted by: Mike | 2006/11/12

I would try and do 30 minutes of cardio 5 days per week (running,walking,swimming,cycling,stepping or rowing).
You can do crunches daily for your tummy.
With cardio you lost weight(slowly) all over. But to work on butox & legs you need to do resistance exercises, usually at gym.
It's very possible with some hard work and healthy eating to lose 6 - 10 kg by new year. Let us know on weight loss forum how its going......

Reply to Mike