Question
Posted by: Dup | 2007/08/02

What does uterus evacuation really mean?

Hi, I had a miss carraige (medical term: missed abortion) almost 2 months ago. I am now supposed to go for a "uterus evacuation". This is apparently just a clean up of your womb, but the terminology used by the doctor sound's as if they are removing my entire uterus. Is the description above correctly understood, that "uterus evacuation" is a "clean up"? Please help, I'm stressing as I still want to have children at some stage in my life.

It is the medical term for a womb scrape. The evacuation applies to the remnants of the miscarriage.

6
Posted by: doctor john | 2016/04/09

when a doctor says we going to perform a uterus evacuation clearly the first thing that will rush to your mind will be. 1 - Am i gonna ever be able to have kids again? 2 - Now am going to live with a complication all my entire life but in a lay mans language is the cleaning of the womb because after having an abortion or miscarriage there are sometimes some clots of blood that remain so that procedure cleans the whole system.

Reply to doctor john
Posted by: nn | 2015/10/23

Right know I come from doing it I miscarried yesterday they cleaned me today no pain at am home

Reply to nn
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/04

This was helpful. I was worried of the same term used. For a moment I panicked. Now I am relieved if its simply a clean up.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/10/04

How long does it take to stop bleeding and occassional abdomal pains after you have done the evacuation?

D & C stands for Dilation & Curretage - they will open yuor cervix, scrape out any tissue left by the pregnancy so that there will be no chance of infection. The procedure usually takes less than 5 minutes.

Thats basically what it is a "clean up". Its also called a D & C - they will "scrape" the womb to remove the evidence of pregnancy and the lining of the womb so that it is clean and ready for another pregnancy.