Question
Posted by: Hayley | 2006/04/05

What does smoking really do to my unborn baby?

I am 5 months pregnant and I just can not help but have a ciggerette now and then, is there an amount that I can have daily and what effect does it actually have on my unborn child?

The more you smoke, the worse the effects on the baby. These include miscarriages, preterm labour, poor growth, fetal distress and sometimes fetal death.

2
Posted by: Sue | 2006/04/05

Hi Hayley

The docs say that the side effects of smoking are that you can have an underweight baby. If you can cut down you should - I am not pro smoking when pregnant, however I have friends who have smoked right through their pregnancies and had perfectly normal good birth weight healthy babies.
If you limit yourself to one or two a day I'm sure you'll be absokutely fine. Just remember that there are loads of fanatical anti smokers out there that you are going to hear all kinds of nasty stories. Phone up a clinic sister at a baby clinic/pharmacy and ask her - as long as she is not a anti smoking fanatic but a sensible person, you will get some sense.

Reply to Sue

The amount that you can take daily is zero! Please do the unselfish thing and stop smoking NOW, I am also pregnant and stoped as soon as the test was positve.

The efect it has on your baby is that she/he is getting much less oxygen that she/he is supose to, think for yourself, please.