Question
Posted by: lulu | 2004/10/26

What "does" it for someone?

My grandparents (87 and 79 respectively) live in an old age home. The couple next door is 67 and 65 respectively. Thing is, the old lady has Altzheimers. Now this is what "does" it for me: Whenever I go visiting my grandparents, I find her husband feeding her, reading to her, brushing her hair, clipping her nails or walking with her in the garden. And here's the best part: SHE HASN'T SPOKEN TO HIM IN YEARS. She doesn't even so much as make I contact when he talks to her. She has no idea who he is, in fact. His devotion and complete and utter LOVE for this shell that used to be his wife brings me to tears everytime.

What a beautiful description, lulu --- and someone was just looking for a definition of love ? THAT'S love. Too often, in our teens and twenties, and even beyond, we et tied up in the sex and lust, wothy aspects of live though they are, and don't even think about this depth and extent of true love. There should be medals for that, rather than the daft things we usually award medals for !

6
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/26

Awwwww, that is so sweet!!! Thats what it means to grow old together! Thats so beautiful! Thats what everyone wants i think. Thats complete unconditional love.

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Adam | 2004/10/26

Is dit nie dalk deesdae te maklik uit nie - en dalk nie eens vir 'n goeie rede nie?
Moet ons nie dalk bereid wees om 'n WILSBESLUIT te neem om lief te hê nie? For better or for worse?
Iemand het gesê liefde is 'n werkwoord...

Reply to Adam
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/26

Lulu
It just gives me an ache in my heart to grow old like that...
but, the men are very few these days... most remain boys!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: lulu | 2004/10/26

Nie meer baie sulke verhoudings nie, né? Laat my wonder wat presies hulle anders gedoen het as wat ons nou doen...

Inc, it's really special seeing them together. It was my gran's birthday the other day and we had a little koek en tee thingy for her in the garden of the Home. I overheard the old man tell his wife to PLEASE eat another koeksister. She has already lost so much weight this year that he had to have her clothes taken in twice already. I mean really! He locks her in their room when he goes to the bathroom, because she walks around in her underwear when he leaves her alone.

It's just soooo sad and soooo beautiful at the same time, seeing them.

Reply to lulu
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/26

That is so beautiful... so see two people going through life with such love and devotion... for better and for worse. It's truly amazing!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: CP MOM | 2004/10/26

Ja LULU ek hoor jou hoor. My oupa is 85 en my ouma en hy was 65 jaar getroud toe sy oorlede is en hulle was al die jare sooo lief vir mekaar altyd handjies vasgehou ens. Sy's nou 2 jaar dood en hy sê altyd dat daar was net nooit iemand anderste nie. Saam het hulle gestaan en alles uitgesorteer.

My Pa self is al 11 jaar oorlede en my ma het nog nooit ooit eens 'n kerel gehad nie sê ook daar was net 1 man vir haar en dis nou klaar.......

Reply to CP MOM