Question
Posted by: tryingmybest! | 2007/03/01

What does "highly active" constitute?

Hi Doc!
I will try and make this brief:

I am 27 yr old Female, 167 pds, training to apply to police.

I run sprints 2-3 times a week in the morning just after waking and before work (I have no prob energy-wise with this.)
walk (at 3.5 incline 3) for 5 min, run at 6 incline of 3 for 5 min; walk for 4 (3.5 at 3 again); run at 7 incline of 2; walk for 4-5; run at 7.5 incline of 1; walk 5; sprint at 9 for a minute or two. Soon i will incorporate 8mph for 30 seconds walk for 1 minute interval sprints for hopefully 20 min or so to change it up.

then i do cardio classes at the gym 2-3 times a week after work (kick and step classes - intense).

then i do weights also 4-5 times a week in the evenings after work - vary muscle groups ect ect. dont work SUPER hard only about 45 min-1 hour.

My first question is - is this just a normal workout or is it "intense"?? I am slowly losing weight, I eat about 1500-1700 cal/day. I dont want to eat too much cause my primary goal is weight loss and muscle development. Should I be resting more? Usually every day I am doing something, even if its just a brisk 30 minute walk (usually more instense tho)???

My second question is: how much protein and carbs do you think I would need with a regimine like this?
Do you have any suggestions? I do feel kinda tired often. Also in the evening (this is embarrasing) have bad gas...???

I eat (basically): 7 am 1 toast w/ all nat. peanut butter; 10 am fruit ; 1230 tuna sandwich or salad or healthy small frozen dinner ; 230 fruit ; 5 omlette or whole wheat pastas (depending on if i will do weights that night); 8-9 protein shake. Have small yogurt once or twice a day (low/no fat).

Thanks!! :o) (please - the more info the better! )

Dear Tryingmybest
I would say that the type of exercise you do is intense and strenuous. This should help you to burn a lot of energy. You can click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet which you can use as a guideline. Also click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women' esp the ones on protein and carbohydrates. I think you need more low-fat carbs in your diet to fuel your exercise to stop you feeling tired.