Question
Posted by: Necky | 2007/05/15

What do my neck x-rays mean?

Hi Cyberdoc

I was sent for x-rays on my neck and the specialist did not call me so I take it is nothing to worry about. However, if you could please let me know what it means. I do have a lower back problem which will be operated on in due course and I have developed a hump on the back of my neck (hence the x-rays).
The x-rays reveal that everything is normal except for "loss of the normal cervical lordosis, probably related to spasm".
Please explain what this means exactly and if I need to do anything about it to prevent further deterioration? Or so to speak, can it be fixed?

Many thanks

Dear necky
You have two groups of very strong back muscles running from the top of the spine to the bottom – if you get severe spasm, it straightens out the normal curving of the spine – physiotherapy would help for this.