Question
Posted by: Susan | 2005/07/06

What do I drink (instead of cold water) in WINTER ?

I am unable to drink even one glass of water in Winter without developing goose pimples.

As a result, I find myself drinking endless cups of soup which causes fluid retention, and also exacerbates my potassium deficiency. And this, in turn, makes me crave sugar and gain weight.

I would like to know whether Green Tea is a good alternative to soup (and water) in winter. And whether it contains caffeine. Can I drink Green Tea at night?

Dear Susan
You can drink warm water as a start, or tea or moderate amounts of coffee. I find it strange that soup should cause a potassium problem seeing that most foods, including soups made from vegetables are good sources of potassium. Green tea is a good alternative to soup and it should not cause problems if you drink it at night. Rooibos tea is also an alternative. Remember that it is the quantity of LIQUID that you ingest, not specifically water that is important. You also do not have to ingest more than 1,5 to 2 litres of liquid a day in total. Don't overdo the liquid intake otherwise you will exacerbate the potassium deficiency.