Question
Posted by: Checkup | 2002/12/17

What do I ask for?

I haven't been to a GP for a while, but would like to have a checkup done before the end of the year. I'm 27 years old. What do I ask my GP for? What tests will he do - I assume things like cholestrol and sugar?

Is it necessary to have a check up if you feel fine?

I was once told that there is a build up of wax in my ears and they should be syringed. Is it bad to syringe them and is it painful?

Many thanks!

Checkup, if there is nothing wrong with you on clinical examination, your GP will do the minimum amount of tests. He will do a urine dipstick, a finger prick sugar test and probably take blood for a full blood count and a fasting lipogram (cholesterol test). Depending on whether he thinks it’s necessary, he will also do a UK&E (kidney test), LFT (liver test) and a TFT (thyroid test). If anything turns up abnormal, he will do further tests. Good luck.