Question
Posted by: Jeff | 2004/11/09

What distance is suitable for me to run?

I am 16 years old. I am a runner and have run up to 21 kms, i am not sure at this age whether I should concentrate on speed or long distace.Any suggestions???

Hi Jeff

My advice is to concentrate on shorter distances. I understand that in the big scheme of things, thinking long term, you may be a long distance runner, but there is no point doing these super long races just yet. I think that you are really going to benefit from having a real good speed base, and this can be obtained by running track (1500 and 3000m) and cross country. Virtually all the great Kenyan and Ethiopian runners began life on the track and on cross country, with speed work, and then when you get a little older, say in the early 20's perhaps, you look upwards.