Question
Posted by: bbq | 2004/11/12

what determines attractiveness???

Hi what makes a face beautiful?
Some people have nice features, but aren't good looking, while others have relatively bad features yet are attractive?
So what determines attractiveness???

I don't have time or space to go into all the details, but there's a load of research you'll probably find by a good web-search, into general aspects of attractiveness of faces, involving symmetry, and so on ( similarly, there are aspects which most young animals ahare ( puppies, kittens ) which make an "Aaaah!" response well-nigh unavoidable ! But beyond that, much is a matter of individual taste, of course. Personally, for instance, I find an atractive and interesting face, is close to the border between attractive / beautiful, and ugly, whether it's male or female --- while the too perfect doll-like faces of the women and men favoured in soap-operas, for instance, I find very unattractive.
We also tend to rather fancy people who in several ways look like us.
And Liza points to a very important factor-- self-confidence ( not excessive, mind you ) --- someone who feels attractive, often IS so, to other people.

3
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/15

What a nice reply Liza. Truly re-inforces the notion that beauty comes from within...

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: HS | 2004/11/12

Thanks Liza.
This is really a remarkable (and true) point of view.
You made my day... I think it's going to be a wonderful weekend!

Reply to HS
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/12

Read an article somewhere that said that the people with the most average features were considered the most beautiful (picture-wise anyway). Personally I think that attraction has more to do with personality and on a much lesser level to do with physical characteristics. Its also about how people present themselves. I'm one of those fortunates who can look like a mouse most of the time, but when I climb out of the mousehole - watch out! Did that just for kicks one of my last days at the clinic last month. It was nice to see the jaws drop of some of the more obnoxious male patients.

Plus is someone feels sexy, they usually look sexy too. Some days I just don't feel sexy - but the next day with the same clothes, just a different attitude (brought on by sexy (or no) underwear) and people just look twice.

I don't really think that this can be defined. To me its a state of mind.

Reply to Liza