Question
Posted by: Mike | 2005/11/18

What causes headache while driving

Hi.

I get mild headaches after being behind the wheel for a couple of hours. Usually occurs when its a hot day and the sun is baking down. Then the aircon gets turned up, the sun block gets smeared all over and the shades never leave the arch of the nose.

I've tried drinking lots of water and putting on extra lotion, but no luck. Could it be the aircon? The heat? The concentration? I work in an airconditioned office and never experience headaches while there.

Any advice to help me prevent them on future trips?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mike,

The most common cause of headaches related to driving is the driver’s posture.

There are a number of potential problems, such as sitting too near to the wheel, sitting too far from the wheel, seat too low, seat too high, headrest in the wrong position, etc.

If you contact The Headache Clinic on 0861678911, and give them your fax or e-mail address, we will send you instructions on the correct driving posture.

If the headache persists with the correct posture, then you need to be properly assessed to determine the underlying cause.