Question
Posted by: Blessed | 2008/05/22

What can one do?

Hi all

I am not here to complain as I feel I am blessed in so many ways.
I have two wonderful children who are now young adults.
I have a roof over my head which is paid for.
I have a job, which does not pay enough, but there is job security.
I am a physically disabled person, but I manage to live on my own.

However, both my children are planning on leaving the country within the next two years or so. This means I will lose my support system. I have no other family and only one very good friend.

I used to play bowls at least I could socialize that way. However now I cannot afford to do so anymore. I am stressing about not having a support system and not being able to afford my hobby anymore. I spend my life at work and at home, it just makes me so sad and I am at a loss on how to change this situation.

You are wise to look ahead and to recognize the need to evelop a broader support system. Explore other hobbies, and through perhaps helping charity organizations, church groups, whatever, you may find other people in a similar situation, who can form part of a mutual support group

2
Posted by: Blessed | 2008/05/23

Hi Britty,

Thanks for you response.

I realize that I could probably follow my older daughter in time. The only problem would be that I would then be financially dependant on her, where as here I have that financial independance (if only just making ends meet). I guess my biggest problem is having to start a new life, when I am so settled here. My daughters do want me to follow one of them, but time will tell what I should do.....

Reply to Blessed
Posted by: Britty | 2008/05/22

Have you thought that perhaps you could join your children or one of them when they are well established? It may not be financially vaible for you to go on your own but they could possibly help you when they are permanent in a new country. Some countries also have very good resources for the infirm and elderly and you could also be helped that way. Your family sounds very close and i am sure your children will also miss you and would want you with them. Try not to worry right now but also try and take steps as CS suggested so that you have a better support system in place when your children leave. Try not to see their leaving as the end of your world as it could very well open your world. Sometimes problems just work themselves out over time and we wonder why we worried so much. Take care and the best of luck for the future.

Reply to Britty