Question
Posted by: rl | 2007/08/25

What can i do

I live in a very remote area the closes town is about 160km away so we only go in about once a month. So i do not get acsess to a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. On top of that i am a shift worker and wen i work the thing avalable to me to eat is almost only bread or take away. I stay overnight every second night and there is no fasilitys to cook a decent meal. My shifts is from 14h00 to 22h00 and the next dat i start at 6hoo until 14h00.
I do not eat a lot at all and when i do i eat very irregular some times only once a day. I would like to do some excisises but i have a baby of 10 months that is very demaanding because i am have the time away he wants a lot of attention. so as soon as i try to do someting he is there wanting attention. By the time he is asleep i am so exsausted i don't have enery to do enything. I am about 60kg to 70kg overweight. I was about 20kg overweight when i started this job and before my kids.
I don't need to loos all that weight but i would like to loos at least 20Kg to 30Kg at first. So i need to know if there is some thing i can do to start loosing tis weight, i don't want a quick fix but 5-6kg a month will be fine as long as i'll be loosing.

Is the someting that can be used for people living such hectic livestiles.

Dear RL
I must admit that your situation is not ideal for losing weight and the fact that you say you need to lose up to 70 kg, is really tough. Because of your working shifts and so far away from your home I can only suggest that you have a look at the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and work out which foods you can take with your when you are working. There are a lot of food products that are low-fat and high-fibre that you can buy when you go to town for your diet (e.g. high-fibre cereals, ProVitas, fat-free long-life milk and low-fat yoghurt, frozen vegies, etc). Make a list of the foods you need for your meals and then do some preparation before you go on shift so that you have these foods available and can lower your energy intake. To increase your energy output you need to do regular exercise (brisk walking, running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Of these exercises I suppose the only ones you can do, are walking or skipping (not sure if you can do this if you are so overweight), but try and be more active if possible. If you could manage to get to see a medical doctor when next you come to town, you could ask him/her about the use of Xenical which will help you lose weight. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. So see if you can get Xenical prescribed for your condition. Also discuss the possibility of gastric bypass surgery with the dr if you really need to lose 70 kg - this may be the only solution under your circumstances.
Holding thumbs that you can find a way of losing weight.