Posted by: Taken_4_a_ride | 2009/08/08

What are my options and time frame now???!

I received the divorce order from my wife three weeks after the actual divorce date. Due to major balls-up somewhere (I' m not pointing fingers but know who the guilty party is) my objections against her initial claim wasn' t taken into consideration, and she was granted almost 50% of my nett salary as well as school fees.
There' s no way that I can afford R5500 pm + school fees (if I could I would have done it with a smile) but just after my bare living expenses (rent, car and groceries only) I' m left with R3500 for the rest of the month.
1. How long after the date on the divorce order is the payment due?
2. Does is matter that I only received notice three weeks after?
3. I am in process of fighting this, but in the meantime can my ex refuse me to see my baby daughter?
4. If she can' t refuse me, and my visit times are on Sundays, but she does anyway refuse, what can I do? Can I go to the cops on a Sunday?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDivorce support expert


pls contact for a legal referral. This situation needs to be addressed urgently. I am not in a position to give any legal advice and one of my concerns is that your daughter is being used as a pawn by her mother. Children need both their parents. The parents divorce is not the child's divorce and parents who cannot separate those two aspects need guidance to become a responsible co-parent.
Unless there is a proof that you are a danger to your daughter, you have every right to see her and it is not as much about the fact that both parents have a responsibility towards their child, the child has a right to see both parents and to love both parents. They do not belong in the middle of their parent's break up and they not have to chose one parent over the other.

Do not hesitate to forward further queries to



The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.