Posted by: Very Despondent | 2008/08/29

What am I doing Wrong

Good Morning DietDoc
I am very despondent at the moment. I have just at Thyroid surgery 19 July an am on Eltroxin. I am one of the lucky ones to suffer from IBS so I often get constipated. I am feeling very uncomfortable with myself at the moment, ie, my clothes are feeling a bit tight and everytime I look at myself in the mirror I start feeling down.... I have worked out a eating routine, but I am not losing weight - I don' t know what I am doing wrong.

In the mornings I have a tablespoon of muesli with a teaspoon of sunflower seeds and low-fat yoghut (Activia)  at lunchtime I have about 3 tablespoons of vegetables with a piece of fish or a slice of cooked ham as well as a slice of seed bread or low GI bread or brown bread. As I leave work at 4, I have an apple. When I get home I have my supper in which I have a very small portion, ie, if the family is having boerewors rolls, I will have the boerewors and not the roll. I have 3-4 cups of coffee during the day. Admittingly I don' t drink a lot of water - I can' t handle the taste

Please help me - I really don' t know what I am doing wrong?

Dear Very Despondent
You do realise that your present reaction is also partly due to your operation, the aftereffects of the anaesthetic, the fact that part of your thyroid has been removed and the Eltroxin only starts to work properly after about 3 months? This type of post-op depression is perfectly normal after any operation and even more so after a thyroid op, because the thyroid gland is like the conductor of the orchestra of the body. Give the Eltroxin a chance to start working (as mentioned this takes up to 3 months), give your body a chance to heal (about 8 weeks), eat a healthy balanced, low-fat diet so that you can build up your strength (your food intake is probably so minimalistic that your body is reacting by conserving energy!) (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diet - check the portions against your intake! and look at the additional low-fat milk and yoghurt intake that is suggested) and give yourself a chance. If you are not too tired, go for a gentle walk in the fresh air every day to stimulate your metabolism.
Get better soon

Posted by: Bambi | 2008/08/29

Dont get dispondent...Talk to us on the weight loss site.

Reply to Bambi
Posted by: Isa | 2008/08/29

I struggled to loose weight for a long time. Last Tuesday went eventually to the dr. I am insulin resistant. 4 main characteristics. tired, hungry/peckish, overweight and resistance to weight loss. he put me on a sugarless diet for 2 weeks before I must go back for another blood test. Seek until you find the problem. You are worth it! Strongs!

Reply to Isa
Posted by: Leonie | 2008/08/29

have you had your insulin levels tested? i am sure DIet Doc will tell you your diet is unbalaned.

Testing you insulin levels are very important.

I also struggled all my life to loose weight till a month ago my insulin levels was tested and it showed that i am insulin resistant.

Reply to Leonie