Question
Posted by: FB | 2005/07/04

What age to give girlie book to read

My son is 14, we do have a open relationship, whith sex questions ect, He ask me if he may read the Husler!!! . I will rather see that he reads it at my house, rather he gets it from his friends!! Is it wrong for me to give him the magizen or must i still wait a few years.. Please help me withs this one!!!!!!!!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

the issue of porn is very much an issue for a parent to decide about. Some parents do not approve at all, others are more open about the issue. The reality is that many teenagers will get their hands on porn - either magazines or on the internet.

The legal age for use of pornography is 18 years old.

Only you can decide what you are comfortable with. You have to ask yourself whether this is something you feel is age-appropriate and feels okay to you, rather than just feeling you have to do it because he wants to. Incidently there is very little to 'read' in these kinds of magazines!!

3
Posted by: Mike | 2005/07/06

Playboy would be as far as I'd go. To forbid him to see all would only cause him to seek out anything he can get his hands on. Hustler is pretty nasty while playboy's photos are artfully done. Also there are real articals in playboy as well as the playboy forum for all types of advice. Also playboy has a more respectfull approach towards women. FHM, Stuff and Maxim are excellent choices also. My own son looks over mine. Teens are sexual beings just like you and me and to deny the fact is not only fruitless but can lead to more problems than parents try to prevent.
Also GOOD FOR YOU to have an open attitude and respect for your teen to discuss sexual issues. The world needs more moms like you and fathers.

Reply to Mike
Posted by: FB | 2005/07/04

Teen expert, thanks for youre reply. But i will wait till he is 18, then he can decide if he whants to read it, but for so long he will just be happy to get a FHM to read.

Mommy thanks read my other posting.....;-)

Reply to FB
Posted by: Mommy | 2005/07/04

Why not rather buy him the Mens Health or FHM? He still sees girls with beautiful bodies, but at least not pornographic pictures? There are also lots of useful articles on men's issues. I really do not think its very healthy for a 14yr old to look at pornographic magazines - even if it is in your own home! You after all want your child to grow up respecting women and have a healthy outlook on life, love and sex. These pornographic magazines totally disrespects women and their bodies and makes them only sex objects. It is like giving your child a 'blue movie' to watch? This is only my opinion as also a mom.

Reply to Mommy