Question
Posted by: Cheryse | 2007/02/26

What about Stolen Children?

Hi CyberShrink - thank you for the article on stolen babies from hospitals but what about children being kidnapped. This is my biggest fear that my child will be snatched. I hate going to 'kiddy' venues for this very reason. My family and many friends think that I over-react and am over-protective, but I would rather be that than sorry! It takes all but a few seconds and who will really think that there is something wrong if someone walks away from a playground with a screaming toddler, chances are they will feel sorry for the adult who they will assume is the parent and the screaming just another tantrum. There are just too many scary monsters out there, besides the ones who can not have children and want to take one for their own. I'd just as sooner be paranoid than sorry.

Fortunately, kidnap is much less common, especially among the sort of abductors discussed in the article, people who desperately want a child for themselves --- amongst other reasons, because the sudden arrival of an older child is awfully hard to explain to the neighbours ! --- and also because such people often specifically want a baby who can then grow up as if their own, rather than an older child who already has habits and has learned to be someone else's child,
Most children who are harmed, are harmed by someone in the family or a close family friend, rather than by strangers. Being over-anxious doesn't help the child much, either. But educating them, to recognize that some people might try to do something unpleasant or uncomfortable to them, helps --- let them know what to do about seeking help if some such approach occurs, not to accept gifts or rides with strangers, and to feel free to talk with you if ANYONE, however close, shows undue interest in their private parts or does anything that feels uncomfortable to them

1
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/02/26

I know how you feel! I'm also scared that someone will kidnap my child or beat him, etc. Some people are really sick and I get an e-mail almost every second day about a child that was raped, etc. I wish that something really bad will happen to everybody that do such things to other people's children!

Reply to Echelle