Question
Posted by: Adele | 2005/12/13

what a pain

I was doing arobics last night and half way thru I had to sit down
due to this pain on the left side of my chest. My left arm went numb and had pins and needles. It was the first time back at the gym after 4 weeks.Im in my late 20's so im still young. not over weight at all. My Partner said Ive strained my heart as I am a little sick ( voice gone) but I dont have any flu signs etc, its just my voice that has gone. So thats why I still did aerobics. Today I dont have pain,my arm is fine. What do u think has happened. Should I take a few weeks off Training before attempting it again. Must I go 4 a check up, if so should i see just the local GP.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Adele,

There is always a risk when exercising during an illness, even the most mild illness. There is a special risk to exercising in the presence of a viral illness, as one specific virus can cause an extremely serious viral myocarditis under those circumstances. It is estimated that more than 90% of sore throats are due to viruses, so you probably do have a virus in your system, but you can’t know which virus it is. Because of that, patients are always advised to avoid exercise when feeling even a little sick. It is simply not worth the risk. Also, remember that even the mildest of fevers will raise your heart rate : if you exercise on top of that, you may push your heart rate to dangerous limits.

It would be prudent to lay off the gym for a while, until you are feeling 100% again. If you feel the need to exercise, then for the moment, substitute your gym training with walking – that should keep you moving enough. If you experience the pain again, then please do go to your doctor.

Good luck.

Heartdoc