Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2008/01/23

what a dietitian does?

Dear Doc

I need to lose about 10kg and visited a dietitian last week to help with this. I'm not sure if I was expecting too much but all the dietitian did was send me an eating plan of the different portion sizes I should be consuming per day. I though that I will get an intense menu including how to make the dishes.

The cost of the consult was R300-00. Would you please advice as to what a consult with a dietitian should entail?

Lisa

Dear Lisa
Basically a dietitian is supposed to take a basic diet history of the patient and then work out the specific diet the patient requires (slimming, diabetic, renal, etc) according to the patient's individual needs. The individual dietitian would decide if she/he is going to supply the patient with revolving menus for a few weeks and/or recipes, but this is not a requirement. If you are not satisfied with the diet or if you require more information then go back to the dietitian and ask her/him for the additional information.