Question
Posted by: Phillip | 2006/04/02

Were does it end

I have a high blood pressure problem,with chronic anxiety that really messes up my life,i have been on numerous medication from Valium 10mg to serepax Forte,for my Bp my DR put me on physiotens 0.4mg and for the anxiety and severe panic attacks he has me on Atarax 50mg three times a day with that Ativan 2.5 mg twice a day and at night Dormonoct 2mg,it feels as if its working but i feel oversedated,but i would rather be oversedated than suffer from panic attacks,i have been on SSRI,Aropax and Prozac but they dont seem to work very well with me so i tend to stay away from anti depressants,what advise can you give me,i have seen a couple of Phsyciatrists and the Dr who has me on these meds is a specialist Physician and it has cost me thousands i need the right meds

Hello Phillip,
I disagree with HomoeoPsych on some points. Acupuncture does indeed help some peopl, if you have access to a good and experienced acupuncturist. "Analytical hypnotherapy ", though, is a bogus technique with absolutely no good research showing it to have any genuine benefits, and no professional consensus in its favour. LEarning to relax onself directly and deliberately is, how ever, very practical and better when NOT connected with "hypnosis" --- it can be learned as part of CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which helps you to analyze and revise the automatic thoughts and assumptions that may lead to your getting over-wrought, and to learn to relax when you need to, by deep relaxation techniques and others.
Any of the benzo drugs --- Valium and its many relatives --- which you have been trying, are sedative ; the one anti-anxiety drug which is relatively non-sedative and not potentially habit-inducing, is Buspirone, now available in a cheaper but equivalent generic which would be preferable ; which has a gentle and gradual onset of action.

1
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2006/04/02

Hi Phillip

If conventional, drug-therapies don't work effectively for you, you might want to consider other approaches.

High blood pressure & anxiety are both stress related. You might consider trying either acupuncture to disperse the excess of vital force generating this condition. Alternatively, deep relaxation techniques as can be induced in hypnotherapy can be usefull. Analytical hypnotherapy can sometimes also be usefull in exploring underlying issues generating your response to threat. Should you consider this approach, it is of great importance that you consult a registered psychologist of medical practitioner, appropriately trained in clinical hypnosis.

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych