Question
Posted by: Hopeful | 2004/12/13

Wells syndrome and Cyclosporine

I have been diagnosed with Wells syndrome, an extremely rare skin condition. After treatment with Prednisone (corticosteroids) failed, I started with Cyclosporine (Sandimmune Neoral) 100mg per day therapy. I started with this on Saturday (two days ago).

My question is: in all the research I've done on the Internet and also on the pamphlet that comes with this medication it says you need to split up the daily dose into two different doses per day. I was given the 100mg capsules to take it once a day.
Isn't this the wrong way to take the medication? And doesn't this affect how well it will work? I am spending thousands on this medication and I'm also desperate for it to work and want to make sure that the way I'm taking it is correct.

Also, if I do experience the side effect of hairgrowth (let's say on my face), will this go back to normal when I stop the medication, or will this be permanent?

Thank you so much.

Expert ImagePharmacist

The recommended dosage of Cyclosporine treatment is calculated according to weight and condition, e.g. 2.5 mg/kg/day divided into two doses. Usually medication is divided into more than one daily dose to maintain a constant concentration in the body. Note that this medication need careful monitoring by your doc and should ideally be used under close supervision. Should have any enquiries about your dose you should ask your prescribing doc. The side effects should also disappear once you discontinue the drug.