Posted by: Kay | 2008/06/13

Wellbutrin stopped headaches - how???

Dear Headache Expert
I have suffered from headaches for many years and have been a patient at the headache clinic too. I also suffer from severe depression and have recently had my medication switched to Wellbutrin - and since then have only had very occasional, mild headaches which go away on their own! How did this happen? Headaches are listed as a possible side-effect of Wellbutrin, so I am very puzzled (not complaining at all!) I don't need any headache tablets anymore! ... but I guess the depressive part of me wonders if this isn't just too good to be true and the bubble will burst sooner or later. Have you ever heard of this? Why would this happen? Is it likely to continue?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Kay,

Wellbutrin is not usually prescribed for headaches, but if it works for you that is wonderful.

One can't predict whether it will last, but I hope you are lucky and it does last.

The 'possible side effects' don't always occur, and only some people on the drug may develop headache.