Question
Posted by: martin | 2004/11/17

well defined abdominals, hard to achieve

I have a fairly lean complexion and have never had weight problems. In fact I weigh 64kg's, which is a bit low considering my age (22) and length 1.79.

I would like to see my abdominal muscles when looking in the mirror, but there is this thin layer of fat keeping me from my goal.
I run three times a week for 30min for the last 3 months now and I go to the gym three times a week, but stil no sign of less fat along the waist. I've also heard some advice that to shed the final layer of fat you need to go on a low carb diet.

What food should I include in my diet to achieve my sixpack?

Hi Martin

I am not a fan of the low carb diets. I don't think that exercise combined with a reduced carb intake is particularly effective. So, I don't think that cutting carbs is the way to go. I do think that cutting back on fatty foods is more effective, and I would suggest this. Other than this, your exercise can probably be improved very slightly, though I am guessing because I don't really know what you are doing in the sessions other than the running. For one, I would increase the running duration from 30 to 40 minutes. The gym sessions you do should also include strength training for the abdominal muscles, obviously. I am not sure what you are currently doing, but what you can add to any crunches or situps that you do is to just add extra weight by holding a weight to your chest while doing them. Obviously don't go too heavy - strain may cause injury, but some weight increasing progressively over the weeks may help.

other than this, you kind of just have to plug away and go for little goals at a time. You are light, you probably don't have that much to lose, and so you have to be patient and realise that these last few centimeters will take the longest.