Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2007/03/28

Welcome back, CS

It is so good to hear that it went reasonably well for you, CS (if not so good in the finance department, we "commoners" always end up paying, don't we..?) Is there no recourse in your case, CS? Worth pursuing, I think?
Welcome back, and may every day be better than the previous one. You were sorely missed by all, and it is GOOD to have you back!

Thanks Lynne. I'm struck by the way that they carefully check that if you don't have Medical Aid ( so are least able to afford the treatments ) the price tends to go up.
My surgeon has helped to keep his end of the costs down. I was brought up with the idea of what was called "Professional Courtesy", acording to which doctors never charged doctors, or nurses, etc. In my decades of work I have never charged a bean to any doctor, nurse, physio, whatever, or to their moms and dads and kids. But that idea seems to have largely died out these days.
I\ll long remember the nurse who prepared me for discharge, though. She proudly told me she'd been matron of a major local hospital ( though, I think, one that closed years ago ). But as you may know, after most ops, they leave in a tube as a drain, attached to a vacuum bottle, so it can encourage any blood or ooze to come out. And when you're ready for discharge, they painlessly pull this thin tube out.
Except for the way she did it. I was amzed at how sickeningly painful it was, and how long it was taking. Then I realized --- they're supposed to pop the vacuum on the vacuum flask BEFORE taking the tube out. And she hadn't thought to do this. So the tube was trying hard to suck out all the tissue it passed, on its way out. Sort of like Liposuction without anaesthetic ! I don't feel keen to contribute to her retirement party, but I do feel it might be a very good idea !