Question
Posted by: ilsa | 2007/06/15

Weird little doggie

In January 2007 we adopted a Malamute X female dog from the animal welfare after our dog died. I eventually succeeded in house training the 2 year old little skarminkel. She were a bit aggressive at first but is now a loving and playfull little doggie, except when you give her a toy that is making squeaking sounds. She then change into a little devil, guarding the toy and chasing anybody away. She is fine with balls etc. and we play alot. Any ideas about why she is so protective over the squeaking toys?

It may have to do with protection of what the dog appears to see as another animal. The fact that the toy makes a sound when "stimulated" may cause the dog to think it is alive. Try giving her a toy that is eaxctly the same as the squeaky toy but without the squeak and see how she responds to it.

5
Posted by: Ilsa | 2007/06/18

I know Malamutes are big strong dogs because they are working dogs. Daisy has blue eyes with a thick brown and white coat and the curled fan like tail, that's why the vet classified her as X Malamute. She is medium sized and not fully grown yet I suppose. That's why she's my weird doggie, I can e-mail you a photo.

Reply to Ilsa
Posted by: Chill | 2007/06/16

Malamutes have very little in common with foxies either, Ilsa. A Malamute is about the size of a German Shepherd, usually, but with longer fur and a curled-over tail, so they look even bigger. They're large, solid, strong dogs... NOT 'doggies', I assure you!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/16

Chill thats interesting and something I never thought of with My boxer Miki's "hatred" of small dogs .. years ago now she killed two jack russels .. I have posted this story before ....

Both my russels tended to squeal with excitement, this must be why she doesnt bother my cats or birds .. they dont squeal or yap .... funny in all my reading on research on her behaviour "issue" I never thought of this one ..

Incidently she is also very protective and playful with squeaky toys, fortunately Monty my male isnt interested in these toys and she is only allowed to have them outside so we dont have a problem .

Never stop learning do we ???????????

Reply to Carol
Posted by: ilsa | 2007/06/16

My thoughts were along the same line, because she can't resist trying to hunt down my cocatiel or other moving creatures. Pierewiet's cage is now almost against the ceiling after she plucked his feathers. The vet classified her as x Malamute, we think she has also some Foxie connection. She is very protective towards me, as I am the one feeding and caring for her. A big Rotweiller once bit me on the bum, I just stood still and quiet as a mouse, he eventually lost interest, so I don't trust that breed anymore.
Thanks for your comments.

Reply to ilsa
Posted by: Chill | 2007/06/15

I'm not sure if this is really a Malamute if you refer to her as a 'little doggie' - malamutes are actually quite big dogs - bigger than huskies.

They're also a little different from most breeds - they're wonderful dogs, but their basic instincts seem to be a little closer to the surface than most breeds - they have an easier tendency to form 'packs', for example.

A small helpless squeaky thing is just what's going to provoke your dog's hunting instincts. Prey animals 'scream' when they're attacked, and this can send predators into a frenzy. This is probably the underlying cause of your dog's behaviour - reasonably harmless, I guess, but - if you have small kids around you may like to discourage it by removing the squeaky toy and replacing it with an equally fun but silent one.

Incidentally... if ever you're attacked by a dog, or injured near one, do your VERY best not to scream or whimper or cry - there are tragic stories of dogs attacking people, as I'm sure you'll have read in the media, and mostly the victims will be people really afraid of dogs who screamed when they encountered the dog, thus inadvertently provoking the very attack they feared.

There was even an incredibly tragic story some years ago about a guy whose car rolled forward in his driveway, crushed him, he screamed for help, and was attacked by his own dogs. Inexplicable.... until you understand what I've said, then it becomes completely understandable, although of course no less tragic.

The secondary tragedy of course is that dogs that do this usually end up being put to sleep....

Reply to Chill