Question
Posted by: Muhammad | 2004/11/07

weights , cadio, lose weight/fat

Hi fitness doc
I have started traning cadio 40min everyday and now i have also started weight traning for problem ares ie. stomach and chest. I have started 10kg bench press, 5kg on each side. I do bench press 10kgs and tonning also 10kg. I only have 2 5kgs weights at home. Is this good i know abt "spot reduce" these no such thing so i am taking a whole body approach. I got about 20kgs to lose and im asking will the weight training bulk me up??? I dont want that. I want a lovely body now and I'm aiming high:)).
Thanks, await your reply
Bye

HI Muhammed

I think this is great, provided you are consistent with the cardio training. THe weight training won't bulk you up with these weights, so you needn't worry about that. Also, the combination of the cardio and weight training will make sure that your results are more on the toning aspect and not the building side. Remember that you might find that your muscle mass goes up a little bit, even as a result of cardio training, because any exercise using muscles that you previously did not use will cause them to develop. However, this is not the same as weight training and bulking up, and so don't be discouraged if you don't lose too much initially - you will find that the initial changes happen slowly, because you are maybe gaining some muscle and losing fat. However, later on, you will start to see results, just be patient and persevere!