Question
Posted by: Georgina | 2005/07/27

Weight/Muscle Gain

Naturally I am thin but recently have have become even more thinner, I can see most of my bones and I need more fat, muscle and a bit of weight, especially my hands, feet , chest, thighs and buttocks.

What can I eat to speed this up, or what kind of supplement can I take. This really bothers me and need help

Dear Georgina
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone(011) 203-2000 and ask about this and other Nutritional Supplements. Remember that you must take these supplements IN ADDITION to your normal meals, not as a replacement of meals, to ensure that you gain more weight.

2
Posted by: sunflower | 2005/07/29

I just came from my second appointment with my dietician because i used to be sick all the time because of my reflux problem. and we found out that i am underweight so she had to work out an eating plan for me, and i suggest you do the same.

the dietician would be able to tell you how much you should be eating, in my case i am quite active i go to the gym every other day so she said that i was losing weight (which i could not afford to lose) because i was using up more energy than i was getting in. the beset is for you to go and see one and they can help you to draw up an eating plan that will work for you, thats how i gained weight slowly. so flameboy is right you are burning more than you are taking in but i doubt if you will need supplements. thats my two cents worth, hope it helps and good luck.

Reply to sunflower
Posted by: flameboy | 2005/07/27

Well essentially I think u will need to start eating a lot more carbs, a selective fats!
I think ur metabolism is high therefore u burning more than u what u are taking in.
Supplements well, to bulk up I think creatine will be an option?

What do u reccommend doc?
None of these postings are answered?? Why is that?

Reply to flameboy