Question
Posted by: CC | 2008/07/21

weightloss exercises

hi i weigh 153kg. my husband and i just joined the gym. him to lose his boep (normal build just the boep problem) and me for weightloss. we had a instructor (one session) to work out a exercise plan. what i don' t understand is how he could give my husband and myself the same program when we have a weight diffrence so big. we warm up with ten minutes on the treadmill and then do the circut. most is arm exercise and then two leg (leg press ups)exercise. that thakes about 35 minute and then we cool off with 5 to 10 minutes on eiter the treadmill again or on the bycicle. shouldn' t my program have more treadmill and stuff were i can sweat off the weight. i was thinking of just doing treadmill and stuff twice a week and then the circut the other two day. you' re input would be appreciated.

Hi CC

Difficult one. In one sense, I agree with you, because you're right that your programme should be predominantly built around cardio training, because that's what you need in order to burn energy (including fat). Having said that, given that you're both starting out from a previously inactive state, the gradual introduction to cardio might be better for you. Whether your instructor meant this or not is another question, it might just be a lucky co-incidence, but I do think that for now, at least for the next 2 weeks, you stick with this programme that gives you only very short cardio sessions at a time.

It's important because when you do the cardio (think of walking, for example), you're going to be loading the joints maybe 60 times a minute. If those joints are not ready for it, you'll get injured. So spend the next two weeks easing your way into the training programme, and then look to build the cardio aspect of it moving forward. Once you do that, then I would agree with your suggestion - do solid cardio twice a week, in which you do maybe 40 minutes of walking. Just bear in mind that 40 minutes might be very difficult at first, so it might be better to do 10 minutes, then a short break of 2 minutes. Then another 10 with a break, and so on. i think this will be easier to manage, though you'll have to see how your body reacts and judge it from there..

I hope that helps!

Ross