Question
Posted by: Thea | 2004/01/20

weightloss by eating 5 - 6 small meals. How does this work?

I am about 30 kg overweight and am trying my best to loose weight. I have a cereal and fruit breakfast, provita for snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon, lunch is usually a slice of brown bread with tomatoe, union, cucumber, etc and at night I eat whatever is at the table, but I limit potatoe and rice at night. I do not loose weight at all, but are steadily putting on weight. Friends have told me to eat 6 small meals a day. How do I go about ascertaining what to eat and when to eat? I must also admit I don't really do exercises, as my have to be at the office very early (07h00 and only leave at around 18h00). I do get on a healthwalker for a couple of minutes 3 to 4 times a week. I must also admit that I take quite a lot of coffee and tea during the day - 1 sugar and low fat milk. Please help me loose weight. I must admit that I have to have snacks mid-morning and afternoon, as I find that my hands start shaking, I have headaches and sometimes I even feel nauseous if I don't have something mid-morning.

Dear Thea
From what you describe, you may have insulin resistance, so Please first have a medical checkup to determine if you suffer from insulin problems. If this should be the case, then you need to consult a clinical dietitian because it is essential that you have an individual diet worked out for you (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian). In insulin resistance the correctly tailored diet is one of the most important parts of the treatment you require. You will also benefit greatly from doing regular exercise - join Walk for Life or a good gym and have that consultation.
Take care

1
Posted by: Thea | 2004/01/21

Thanks. I will make sure to contact my doctor and a dietician.

Reply to Thea