Question
Posted by: ZOH | 2008/01/16

WEIGHT(ARV'S)

HI DOC .I STARTED DRUGS NOW I HAVE A .WEIGHT PROBLEM . I'M GETTING FATTER FROM 82 KG NOW IS 105KG 7 i'm stressed

Dear Zoh
The use of ARVs can lead to weight gain. Because you still need to eat a well balanced diet to keep your immune system healthy, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for a slimming diet that does not interfere with your AVR treatment. If you are feeling otherwise healthy then doing some exercise every day will also assist with weight loss - for example going for a walk if possible for 30 min a day. You can increase how far and fast you walk as you get fitter.