Question
Posted by: Angela | 2004/11/01

Weight Training @ home

I have recently realized how important it is to exercise and have started on my exercise program, trying to exercise at least three times a week, but try to aim for five. I exercise and home and have at my disposal an orbitrek, body ball and 1kg, 3kg & 5kg weights. I also enjo walking on the beach with my dogs.

I'm pretty sure i get more than enough aerobic exercise with the orbitrek and dogs, but do i get enough weight training exercise. Is the body ball even an optional replacements for things like a quad or hamstring gym machine? A also do 'arm' exercise with the 1kg weights while I'm on the orbitrek.

How to I use the tools at my disposal for weight training? What kind of exercise do i do? Do you perhaps have an article on the site that I've missed?

Hi Angela

I believe that using body weight and free weights, you are probably getting the right amount of weight training. I do think that there is no such thing as an optimal amount of weight training though, and so I can't say for sure that what you are doing is the right amount or not. You must also remember that even walking or jogging is weight bearing exercise and so you do get some benefit from these.

For a weight training programme, I would suggest looking at the following website: http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that. These programmes are comprehensive - they contain both cardio and weight training and so even if you want to stick with your current cardio you will see some weight training ideas.

2
Posted by: Angela | 2004/11/03

Hi lol

Yes the concept of the orbitrek works, I just wouldn't recommend the orbitrek itself. There are also other elliptical motion machines (what they are really called) on the market. I saw a great one here at Makro Milnerton for the same sort of price as the orbitrek. You can also try Sportsmans Wharehouse which have a wider variety of elliptical motion machines. You also can get them with preprogrammed routines and 'routes' on them.
Also remember that all infomercials over do things, but an elliptical motion machine in my mind is a great option if you are looking to exercise at home.
Enjoy.

Reply to Angela
Posted by: Lol | 2004/11/01

Just curious..Does the orbitrek work...I want to get me one for home, cause i got no time for exercise during the day, or at work....

Reply to Lol