Question
Posted by: Trying | 2007/12/12

Weight training

I am a 26 year old female and my fiance and I are arguing over which is the correct way to do weight training.

He says to lift the heaviest weight possible and only do one set of 12 - battling on the last rep - with no cardio workout

I say lift the heaviest weight possible battling on the last rep but do 2 sets of 12. (Right now the heaviest I can handle is 5.5 kilos)

Which of us is correct?

I am trying to build lean muscle and lose fat so I also do 30 minutes of cardio and straight after I lift the weights. Am I going about this the right way?

You're correct, given your goals from weight training. But he's probably correct given his too! So we'll call it a tie!

The thing about weight training is that you can adjust the intensity (that is, the size of teh weight) in order to achieve quite a different result. And the intensity obviously affects the number of reps and sets you can do.

So if your goal is to build muscle and bulk up, then heavy weights is the way to do it. I'm not so sure about the 1 set of 12 reps - it gets a little more complex than just ONE way to train (because at different times of the year, you also have to adjust the load), but I would suggest something along the lines of 3 sets of 10 reps on the 1st set, 8 reps on the 2nd, and 6 reps on the 3rd, for example. But 1 set of 12 would also achieve the same goal.

in contrast, considering that your goal is toning, you're better off using a lighter weight and doing more reps. I'd even say that you could probably reduce the weight and aim for 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps, rather than 2 sets of 12. But that's picking holes, at least until you get a bit stronger, and then you could go for this.

As for the cardio, you certainly need that, because you won't burn fat and tone without it - the muscle building and weight work is important, sure, but you have to do cardio if you wish to burn fat!

Ross

3
Posted by: Connor | 2008/01/17

hiya! im a rugby player focused on making it to the top but i am too small and not big. was wandering if ya could give us some tips on how to get bigger and muscular and to build my core stability im currently 14 stone but i dont look it so was wandering if u can help me please

Reply to Connor
Posted by: and then | 2008/01/02

WITHOUT the USN it might be slightly EASIER of course.

Reply to and then
Posted by: and then | 2008/01/02

And if your goal is to look like the USN add on the right, then the routine will be WAYYYYYYYYY more intense.

Reply to and then