Question
Posted by: Nikki | 2007/04/23

Weight Training

I have read that after a person turns 25 they lose half a kg of muscle a year. Which is why people tend to put on weight as they get older? Is this ture?

I am almost 24, 155cm and weigh 54kg.

I currently do 45min of weight training twice a week as well as cardio 3 times a week, will this be enough to enusre i dont lose any muscle or should i increase this

Thanks in advance
nikki

Hi Nikki

No, it's not true that you lose half a kg of muscle each year after the age of 25. What IS TRUE is that if you are not active, then you lose muscle muscle, often at a larger rate than 0.5kg. For example, a bodybuilder, who starts out with a high muscle mass will stand to lose a lot more if they stop traning suddenly. That doesn't mean they will waste away, they will just return to normal! So the implication is that people need to keep exercising in order to maintain a decent level of muscle mass. Then, there is some truch that with age, you do lose muscle mass as well, even training can't stop that. This happens a lot later than 25 though.

But the point is that people gain weight because their exercise and activity routine falls below what it used to, but their diet does not match the change. So a typical example is that a student at university has to walk everywhere, get from one lecture to the next, for three years, and then when they start working, they are desk bound the whole day, and their weight rockets up. It's not that they are losing muscle, it's just that they are changing their routines and suddenly cutting out maybe 30 minutes of exercise a day that was being done before.

So your training seems fine, but again, it's not what happens now, it's how it changes over the next while.