Question
Posted by: Candice | 2004/11/19

Weight Training

I would like to tone up and lose 3kg's. I do gym about 3-4 times a week and do weights each time with about 10 minutes of cardio before the weight session. Is this method going to assist with my weight loss or do I need to do more cardio and more sessions at the gym? (perhaps 5 or 6 times a week?)
I alternate the weight training each time i.e. do upper body one day and the next day I do legs.

HI Candice

There are a couple of things you could change if you felt you needed to - the first thing I would do is give your current training programme a chance to work. I gather that you have been doing this for a short time only, and so the first thing is to be patient, wait and see. If you find that what you are doing is working, then don't change. If you do feel that you need a change or two, then the two changes to make are the ones your bring up. I would certainly try to up the cardio training. Even if this means that you cut back some of the weight training, I don't think that is too bad a compromise, for a while, anyhow. Perhaps a day of cardio to replace one of your weight training day.

The other change is of course to simply add a day - I would say you could add a day of cardio, so that you do 5 days a week, 4 mixed and one cardio.

As long as you persist and you are doing regular exercise, it should work, so keep at it and good luck.