Question
Posted by: Nix | 2003/01/08

weight traing

Hi there, my name is nikki and I am a 21 years old female. I started training 4 months ago and I am really enjoying it.
I train 4 times a week, only doing 10min of cardio per session and an hour and a half of weight training. Is the weight training good enough or should I try to push up my cardio? (not very fond of cardio, but love weights. I also have shin splints which limits my cardio training.)
hope to hear from you soon
nikki

Hi Nikki

You need to increase your cardio since your heart needs a workout too! I would recommend you gradually build up from 10 mins to about 30 mins - but try to choose options you enjoy. Re the shin splints - there could be a problem with your training shoes not giving enough shock absorption? Alternatively, your bone density could be low - so it's worth checking this out too. Also, do you get adequate calcium in your diet, since perhaps you need a calcium supplement which could help to strengthen your bones if they are weak. If you live in Cape Town, I suggest you visit the Sports Science Institute for a shoe assessment and check-up. Phone 021 659 5644 for an appointment or a referral to someone in your area.

Good luck and keep up the exercising!

2
Posted by: Bear | 2003/01/09

Basically what I understand is this for 10 minutes of cardio or longer , your metabolism ramps up for 8 hours, so do 10/15 minutes in the morning and another 10/15 minutes in the evening, and you'll have a raised metabolism for 16 hours a day. Now for the bad news, you have to get your heart rate up for the cardio period based on the following formula. 180 less your age, with 5 either way. So should you be 30 years old your formula would look something like this 180 - 30 = 150. Consequently you need to get your heart rate up between 145 and 155 ppm for the duration of the 10/15 minute cardio workout for it to be optimal. Personally it sounds like a surefire heartattack looking for a place to happen, but should you ease/train your body to get to that optimal condition, believe me it works.

Reply to Bear
Posted by: Scott | 2003/01/08

Hi there, while the question I have does not relate directly to the length of time one should train cardio for, it relates to when one should train cardio. I have just over an hour a day to train and was wondering if it would be more benneficial to structure my training with one day cardio and one day weight training, or if I should spend the first half of the session doing cardio and the latter half weight training, or if I can do half the cardio at the start of the weights session and the other half at the end of the weights section. The pimary objective of my training is to shed excess weight and to improve general fitness.

Scott

Reply to Scott