Question
Posted by: KW | 2007/03/05

Weight & Scales

Hi, I am so confused about my weight - why does it fluctuate all the time? I can pick up 3 kg's overnight while I have my period. Also, I am lighter after sleeping during the night and a couple of hours later I can pick up anything up to 1 kg. Why is this and how do I determine my "correct" weight?

Dear KW
It is perfectly natural for some individuals to experience fluctuations in weight of up to 3 kg per day, depending on factors such as changes in hormone levels (i.e. during menstruation) or water retention. If you find that this makes you feel puffy, then ask your gp for a mild diuretic to use during menstruation to alleviate the water retention. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 57 'PMS and diet'. To determine your correct weight, weigh yourself ONCE A WEEK immediately after getting up in the morning before you have had anything to drink, but after urinating. Do not weigh yourself every day and also not more than once a day.

2
Posted by: Hello | 2007/03/05

Do not take what the scale says too seriously. There will be days that you are heavier then others and of course things like what time of the day, the clothes you wear, hormones etc play a role. Weigh yourself once a week, preferably in the morning after having a wee in your pjs or naked. I use to get so stresses out over what the scale says and trust me it is not worth it. I will weigh 57kg in the morning, 58 round about 10h00 and and almost 59 in the evening. Rather take your centimetres, much beter than the scale.

Cheers

Reply to Hello
Posted by: hi | 2007/03/05

hi,

i think the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning, before you drink and eat something. thats what i normally do.

Reply to hi